Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Walter F. Dillingham’

Section 11343, Revised Laws of Hawaii 1945, refersĀ  to the playing of prohibited games. This statute provides that every person who participates in or who conducts, either as an owner or employee, any specific type of game or any game in which money or anything of value is won or lost is guilty of a misdemeanor.

1957carnival1

1957 Carnival scene: Grant Marsh and Barbara Townsend splurge on a balloon from the happy vendor, Dave Ferguson. (1957 Oahuan photo and caption)

So read the February 7, 1957 letter from Dan Liu, Chief of Police (signed by Arthur M. Tarbell, Deputy Chief of Police), to Dr. John Fox, President of Punahou School. Walter F. Dillingham, President of the Board of Trustees, and Mrs. Robert S. Lowery, Carnival Chairwoman, were copied on the communication.

At issue was a January 1957 court ruling, made by Judge Harry R. Hewitt, that gambling is involved in “any game in which money or something of value is won or lost.” Because Carnival games offered prizes to its winners, game players were gambling and would, as stated in Chief Liu’s letter, be subject to the possibility “of embarrassment attendant to arrest and prosecution of any individual concerned either as operators or as participants.”

With this news being delivered on the eve of the start of the February 8-9 event fifty years ago this year, it seemed that the Carnival much attended midway was doomed.

What to do? Actually the answer was quite simple. According to Carnival Chairwoman Lowrey, “We just (more…)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

No, Punahou74 we were not the “lucky” ones who enjoyed an additional two days of summer vacation in 1968. We were in sixth grade at the time, just shy of entering Bishop Hall but very very much aware of what was going on next door to our Castle Hall classrooms.

Punahou School’s Bishop Hall c. 1910. The building was named for Charles Reed Bishop who made his mark in both Hawaii’s business (he founded Bishop Bank which is now known as First Hawaiian Bank) and educational worlds (Kamehameha and Punahou Schools).

C. R. Bishop Hall was the first reinforced concrete building in Hawaii. Completed at a cost of $58,400 in 1903, it was designed by Dickey & Newcomb and built by the Concrete Construction Company. An epitome of modern educational design, the building allowed Punahou to unite its students on one campus (young children were then schooled at a building at Beretania and Richards Street, where St. Andrews Cathedral is currently found) and was, for years, the center of the elementary experience.

Unfortunately, not long after it began welcoming students, trouble signs began to appear in Bishop Hall. The building was (more…)

Read Full Post »